We spend about a third of our life sleeping. That’s a lot of time sleeping. Would it surprise you to know most people are either not sleeping enough or the quality of sleep is not good?
The best sleep tracker is a sleep analyzer, enabling you to monitor your sleep cycles and other key data. Allowing you to gauge how much quality and restorative sleep you’re getting.
The data you collate from your sleep tracker can be the instigator to have a consultation with your doctor or for you to simply make small steady changes that help improve your sleep.
We trawled through the maze of trackers, to bring you our list of wearable and non-wearable best sleep trackers.
Improving your overall health, and giving you more energy throughout the day.
Another sleep tracker from Withings Sleep makes it into our top sleep trackers list. This time with the snazzy Nokia Steel HR Hybrid Sleep Tracker.
The Nokia Steel HR is an analog watch that combines all the cutting-edge technology of a smartwatch into an elegant-looking watch. Who says you have to comprise style over health?
Available in 6 different colors, and two-sized face watches, in 36mm or 40mm, and it comes with three styles of the watch face, so you can pick the color, size, and style that suits you.
This is no ordinary watch, it tracks advanced sleep metrics, from sleep cycles, to wake up and bedtimes, sleep interruptions, your heart rate, and issues you with a sleep result.
For exercise enthusiasts, this watch not only collates your sleep data but you can activate the workout mode by choosing from thirty sports, it also tracks calories burned, steps taken and distances covered.
Connected to GPS this watch will make sure you’re not left hanging in the wind. With a battery life of 25 days, this gem will keep on going so that you remain fit as a fiddle.
- Steel HR clinically tested
- Tracks activity, sleep & heart health
- 25 days of battery life
- Waterproof up to 50 meters
- Smartphone notifications
- Sports monitoring - 30+ sporting activities recognized
- Connected to GPS
- Compatible with Alexa
- Swappable watch straps
- Brand: Withings
- Model: Nokia Steel HR Hybrid Sleep Tracker
- Size: 1.56 x 1.56 x 0.51 inches
Watch face - 30mm or 40 mm
- Weight: 0.11 pounds
- Available in 6 colors & 3 different styles
- Available in 2 different sizes: 36mm or 40mm
- 1-year warranty
- Long battery life for a wearable
- Ideal for people wanting a more elegant sleep/exercise tracker
- Free Nokia Health Mate app
- Great for athletes
- An ideal choice for people likely classic look of an analog watch, combined with smart features
- Mid-range price
- To see certain data, must manually press buttons
- Leather watch straps cost extra
A standout contact-free sleep monitor, the Emfit QS Sleep Tracker is a must-have for athletes and sporty individuals, with a focus on tracking nightly total recovery and improvements to be made.
The measuring strip is placed under the mattress and starts collating stats using ballistocardiography, with a sensitive compression sensor.
A wealth of metrics are gathered from sleep cycles to heart rates, HRV, and movements during sleep.
The Emfit QS Sleep Tracker provides a range of measurements that are highly useful to individuals in physical exercise and athletes alike.
Focusing on total recovery and recovery efficiency along with other outcomes.
This is a great option for those of you wanting to be free to move around in your sleep and not be restricted by wearable tech. You won’t even know it’s under the mattress.
- Under the mattress sensor with 1.8 meters long cord
- An analytical device with a WiFI connection
- Power adaptor with 4 globally compatible plugs
- Monitors total recovery, HRV, heart & breathing rates
- Tracks sleep cycles & movement
- Contact-free sleep & health monitor
- Follow daily recovery
- Brand: Emfit QS
- Model: Sleep Tracker
- Size: 8 x 8 x 3.5 inches
- Weight: 1.85 pounds
- 2-year limited warranty
- Great for people who like non-contact sleep trackers
- No app download required
- No phone needed
- A great pick for exercise enthusiasts & athletes
- Information accessible from any device with a browser
- Ideal for monitoring recovery
- Not for the average person
- Does not give action plans or recommendations
If you’re a fan of wearable sleep trackers, it doesn’t get better than the Fitbit Versa 2 Smart Watch Sleep Tracker.
An all-around fitness tracker and a sleep tracker. Users will be able to track the different stages of sleep, sleep times, and even guided breathing sessions.
Throughout the day you can retrieve your sleep data from the watch’s dashboard by synchronizing your watch in the mornings. It’s that easy.
If you don’t like what the Fitbit app data is showing you, you can use the functionality to set sleep goals and manage your sleep schedule proactively.
The Fitbit Versa 2 also tracks your physical activity, your calorie burn goals, and oxygen levels during the day.
What’s more the built-in Alexa voice assistant allows you to give audio commands, set alarms and reminders along with a multitude of other functions.
That’s not all, you can connect your Spotify and control your Spotify music from the Fitbit app.
Backed with a 1-year warranty and a 45-day money-back guarantee, you get to keep your stress levels down and get a good night’s slumber.
- 24/7 heart rate monitoring via optical heart rate monitor
- Sleep tracking: light, deep & REM sleep, sleep result
- Guided breathing sessions
- Advanced menstrual, all-day activity & calorie burn monitoring
- Store & music play
- Spotify connect & control
- 3-axis accelerometer
- 6 days of battery life
- Vibration motor & ambient light sensor
- Device temperature sensor
- Water-resistant up to 50 meters
- Brand: Fitbit
- Model: Fitbit Versa 2 Smart Watch Sleep Tracker
- Size: Small fits wrist 5.5 inches with a 7.1-inch circumference
Large fits wrist 7.1 inches with an 8.7-inch circumference
- Weight: 0.16 ounces
- All-round tracker - health, sleep, exercise
- Available in 4 colors & 2 sizes
- 1-year warranty
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- On-screen coaching
- For people seeking advanced sleep statistics to improve sleep quality
- Physically active individuals
- Excellent fitness tracking
- Great battery life
- Guided breathing sessions manage oxygen levels
- Occasional slow syncing
- Detailed sleep tracking & personalized insight only available with Fitbit premium subscriptions
Get excited for the SleepScore Max Sleep Tracker Improvement System, a sleep monitor designed to sit on your bedside table and analyze your sleep.
SleepScore Max uses biomotion sensor technology to collate sleep details of a sleeper’s movement, breathing, key sleep stages, and the bedroom environment.
For it to effectively work, ensure it’s placed no more than 1.18 meters away from the bed and directed towards your chest, allowing maximum success in compiling sleep statistics.
Sleepers can set sleep goals and the reports generated can be downloaded, providing invaluable data for you to have discussions with your medical practitioner on your sleep ailments and make an aligned plan for improvement.
- Bedside monitor/sensor
- Provides personalized, science-based advice
- Monitors breathing, motion, room environment, sleep cycles
- Provides recommendations to improve sleep
- Smart alarm
- Brand: SleepScore Labs
- Model: SleepScore Max Sleep Tracker Improvement System
- Size: 8.31 x 4.96 x 2.8 inches
- Weight: 1.3 pounds
- A great alternative to wearable sleep trackers
- Sleep reports can be downloaded
- Reasonably priced
- No app subscription needed
- Great for people seeking insight into their slumber
- The initial set-up process is lengthy
The Beautyrest Sleep Tracker Monitor makes it into the list of our top picks. It has a non-contact sleep sensor system and a processor box.
Where Beautyrest Sleep Tracker Monitor can really brag is, it comes with 2 smart sensors so couples can independently track their sleep.
Each sensor system is connected to the processor box, you simply place the sensors on the bed frame and then put your mattress on top.
The processor is connected to your WiFi and if you are tech-savvy and have a home automated system, Beautyrest integrates into that system, allowing you to control the device. Leaving you free from fretting about charging batteries or syncing your sleep data.
The Beautyrest Sleep Tracker Monitor stays plugged in and is working from the moment you lie on your mattress, it’s that simple!
In addition to flexing its muscles that it can indeed multitask by tracking two sleepers independently, the other benefits Beautyrest Sleep Trackers offers is an artificial intelligence sleep coach, providing bespoke insights into your sleeping habits, offering advanced sleep analytics through daily, weekly and monthly reports.
You can control your sleep data via the Beautyrest Sleep Tracker app at a moment’s notice.
- Monitors respiration, heart rate, body movement
- Tracks light & deep sleep, REM cycles & sleep interruptions
- Powerful & smart data integrator
- Records 2 sleepers separately
- Syncs to Beautyrest sleep tracker app
- Alarm system
- Daily, weekly & monthly sleep trends report
- Alexa enabled, to integrate into your home auto system
- Brand: Beautyrest
- Model: Sleep Tracker Monitor
- Size: 3.5 x 3.25 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- 1-year warranty
- Monitors 2 sleepers separately
- Ideal for people who don't like type wearable trackers
- People seeking advanced sleep data
- Homeowners with automation systems
- Works with all mattress types
- Easy to set up
- Detailed reports require a subscription
- No reminders are given for the sleep questionnaire or reminders
If you’re looking for the ideal combination of form and function then look no further than the Motiv Ring Fitness Sleep Tracker.
For you health buffs who also like to make a statement with stylish accessories, the Motiv smart ring is the perfect adornment to wear 24/7 to track your physical activity, sleep, and heart rate.
Available in several sizes, you select the size via a ring sizer and you pick the color you want from rose gold, silver, or black. Designed in a Titanium shell, it’s durable and light.
Fully waterproof up to 50 meters, you don’t have to keep taking the Motiv Ring off each time you wash your hands or shower, let it be your companion 24 hours a day.
The inside of the ring has a patented flexible circuit board and a curved battery that wraps seamlessly around your finger.
It comes with three-day battery life, when you do need to charge it, it comes with a charging dock that can be plugged into any USB port and it takes only 90 minutes to fully charge.
The ring automatically syncs with your phone with Bluetooth so you don’t need to drag your phone around with you all the time. The Motiv Ring is your new ally day and night.
- Ultralight Titanium smart ring
- USB magnetic charging dock
- Waterproof & durable
- 3-day battery life
- Available on iOS + Android
- Measures heart rate, activity types, sleep duration & sleep cycles
- Available in 7 ring sizes
- Available in 3 colors
- Brand: Motiv
- Model: Motiv Ring Fitness Sleep Tracker
- Size: 4.55 x 8.4 x 0.5 inches
- Weight: 3.17 ounces
- US - free priority shipping
- 45-day guarantee
- 1-year warranty
- A stylish wearable sleep analyzer
- Matches whatever your style is
- Compatible with a variety of devices
- Valuable insight into getting better sleep
- The finish can be easily scratched
Nokia has paired up with Withings to develop the Withings/Nokia Sleep Tracking Pad. It’s a pioneering single-sleep tracker that you slide under your mattress and it tracks your sleep cycle, monitors your heart rate, and detects snoring.
The Withings Sleep pad is accompanied by the Nokia Health Mate app, which not only evaluates your sleep report but offers coaching on how to improve sleep quality.
Ideal for sleepers who detest the thought of wearing a sleep tracking device throughout the night, it slides unobtrusively under your mattress, out of sight but not out of mind.
It’s compatible with Amazon Alexa and other home automation systems, allowing you to control your sleep environment, by commanding the lights to turn on or off in the bedroom or turning up the thermostat to rate body temperature.
A one-time preliminarily set-up ensures the Sleep Tracking Pad automatically syncs with wi fi in your home, once the initial Withings sleep tracking pad has been installed.
It comes with a 30-day return, allowing you to test the Withings Sleep Tracking Pad first-hand before you commit every night to it.
- Withings sleep hygiene assessment
- Snoring detection
- Heart rate tracking
- Detects breathing disturbances
- Sleep coaching program
- Enhanced sleep environment
- Includes IFTTT integration for dimming, turning on lights & thermostat
- Advanced sleep cycle tracking
- Home automation via Nokia Health Mate app
- Generates a shareable health report
- Brand: Withings
- Model: Withings/Nokia Sleep Tracking Pad
- Size: 24.4 x 7.4 x 0.19 inches
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- 1-year warranty
- 30-day returns
- For sleepers who don't like wearable sleep trackers
- Compatible with home automation systems
- For people seeking insight into their sleep & stress levels
- For snorers
- Great for sleepers who want coaching/tips for better sleep
- Great value
- No alarm
A quality non-wearable sleep tracker from Beddit, owned by Apple with the Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor.
Equipped with an extremely thin, flat, soft sensor strip measuring 2 millimeters, you won’t even be able to tell this under the mattress sensor is there.
Compatible with any mattress size, whether you sleep solo or with a partner, Beddit 3.5 collates sleep analysis, tracks your heart rate, your respiratory data and all the statistics are stored in the Beddit app on your phone.
Beddit 3.5 also monitors your snoring and bedroom and skin temperature along with humidity levels.
Beddit provides weekly, monthly, and quarterly sleep reports. It’s great to get a sleep report, but what then?
Well, Beddit 3.5 allows you to set sleep goals to improve your sleep quality and gives practical guidance on how to achieve those goals to improve your overall health.
If you are not disciplined at going to bed at a decent hour, fear not Beddit 3.5 is here to give you a gentle nudge and if that doesn’t work a push, to get you moving to your bed.
Sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite with this smart sleep tracker!
- USB power adapter
- Sleep analysis: Sleep efficiency, sleep time, bedtime, wake uptime
- Snoring measurements
- Breathing & heart rate monitoring
- Measures bedroom temperature & humidity
- Features goal setting for bedtime
- Morning results & tip notifications
- Sleep reports: weekly, monthly & 90 days
- Requires Beddit app
- Brand: Beddit
- Model: 3.5 Sleep Monitor
- Size: 7.5 x 6.1 x 4.4 inches
- Weight: 14.4 ounces
- 1-year warranty
- For sleepers who favor non-wearable sleep trackers
- Automatic tracking whether you sleep alone or with a partner
- Tracker is thin, flat & soft
- Compatible with most beds
- Ideal for sleepers who want sleep report notifications & bedtime reminders
- Not compatible with waterbeds or electrically heated mattresses
- Must sleep on top of the sensor strip
It’s no surprise the Muse S Brain Sensing Headband stole our premium spot in a heartbeat. Think of the Muse S as your personal sleep assistant.
It’s the tracker best to improve your sleep and meditation practices and provides real-time feedback on your mind and body all in one device.
The Muse S monitors your mind, heart, body, and breath and features advanced sleep-tracking and sleep journeys. Extended battery life allows you continuous usage for 10 hours, before requiring recharging.
Sleep tracking insights show you how restorative your sleep was with lab-grade insights.
The Muse S goes a step further than your average run-of-the-mill sleep tracker to measure 5 types of brain activity.
Delta waves which are most present during sleep, Theta waves which are associated with sleep, very deep relaxation, and visualization.
Alpha waves occur when released and calm. Beta waves occur when actively thinking or problem-solving. Finally, it measures gamma waves which occur when involved in higher mental activity and processing of information.
If your sleep metrics indicate you are too active, not relaxed, and not getting quality shut-eye, then you have the sleep journeys at your fingertips.
These journeys allow you to relax and shift your mind away from hectic and busy thoughts.
The soothing voice guidance of a meditation teacher and responsive nature soundscapes put you in a restful state so that you’ll be nodding off into blissful slumber halfway through sessions.
It may take a few nights for sleepers to get accustomed to wearing a headband whilst sleeping, but this feeling passes before you know it.
The Muse S Headband features soft, breathable stretch fabric, making it comfortable to wear and adjust to fit any head size. Pair the Muse S with the free Muse app and you are ready to get some quality zzzs.
- Tracks sleep stages, sleep position & visualization
- Sleep efficiency score
- Measures 5 brainwave activities
- Deep sleep insights
- Mind, heart, breath & body biofeedback experiences
- Go-to-sleep journey's & content
- 10 hours of continuous use
- Bluetooth 4.2
- Muse app compatibility
- Brand: Muse
- Model: Muse S Brain Sensing Headband
- Size: 9.92 x 2.48 x 2.44 inches
- Weight: 12.35 ounces
- 1-year limited warranty
- 30-day trial
- Suits all sleeping positions
- Ideal for people seeking greater insight & improvements into their sleep & meditation practice
- Free access to 30 meditations through Mind, Body, Heart & Breath experiences
- Adjustable fit to all head sizes
- If you want the 1-year meditation subscription to access 300+ meditations, it requires an additional subscription unless you buy the Muse S bundle
Fitbit is a powerhouse in tracking physical activity so it was only a matter of time that it expanded its trackers to monitor sleep with the Fitbit Charge 3 Sleep Tracker.
Fitbit features a big touch screen made of Gorilla Glass that allows you to swipe through the menu options easily. It would be nice to have more clock faces available, but we can’t have everything, but Fitbit Charge 3 strives to make you happy by keeping it simple.
For exercise fanatics, the touch screen is durable and can withstand the most rigorous workouts, so go forth and sweat it out with this sleep and fitness tracker.
The great thing about Fitbit Charge 3 is it’s water-resistant up to 50 meters, so no fiddling with taking it on and off for water sports or for showering.
Automatically tracking your fitness is what Fitbit does best, by monitoring your heart rate, your workouts and providing guided breathing along with how many calories are burned.
Where the Fitbit Charge 3 comes up a little short is not having a built-in GPS for all the runners who like to examine the distance run.
If this shortcoming isn’t a deal-breaker for you, Fitbit Charge 3 tracks your sleep stages and sleep disturbances, providing you with a sleep result.
It comes with a vibrating alarm, so you’ve woken up without disturbing loud noise. It offers a variety of watch bands, making it fun for you to pick what color and style are more you.
- Tracks fitness activity & sleep quality
- An aluminum type wearable
- Provides call & text alerts
- 24/7 heart rate
- Monochrome touchscreen display with a personal dashboard
- 50-meter water resistance
- Alarm vibration
- Fitbit health & exercise app
- Measures: activity, calories burned
- Tracks sleep stages, sleep time & sleep trends
- Brand: Fitbit
- Model: Charge 3 Sleep Tracker
- Size: 1.63 x 4.04 x 8.9 inches
- Weight: 7.36 ounces
- Available in 5 colors
- 1-year warranty
- Great for people seeking advanced sleep information
- Good large display screen
- Long battery life
- No onboard GPS or WiFi
- No backlight
Sleep TrackersBuying Guide
There are so many sleep trackers on the market, it can be a near-impossible task to know which sleeping technology to choose and exactly what features you may want to screen for.
Well, we’ve done all the work for you and summarized the key considerations you may want to take on board before making your purchase. So that you can just enjoy tracking your sleep night after night.
TYPE OF SLEEP TRACKERS
Wearable Sleep Trackers – Wearable sleep devices are also fitness trackers. Most notably wearable devices are worn around the wrist, either as a bracelet or a watch or as a ring.
- Rings – Subtle and usually designed in zirconia or a metal alloy to look more like a fashion accessory.
Many rings will connect to an app, providing detailed sleep metrics, visual graphics of sleep statistics and some may even provide suggestions to improve your sleep based on the sleep patterns detected.
A sleep tracker ring is a good option if you don’t like wearing watches or bracelets as you sleep.
- Bracelets – Bracelets are lightweight, they can measure the rate of change of velocity and won’t restrict your movements even during physical activity.
Most bracelets are constructed from materials that are waterproof, so you don’t have to keep removing them when showering every day.
- Watches – Watches not only make a statement of being a tech adopter, they tell the time, along with monitoring key vitals which they display on the screen, which you don’t get with bracelets or rings. Some watches are also waterproof.
- Other Wearables – Other wearables include sleep headbands that monitor brain activity and detect sleep patterns via algorithms and aid deep sleep and restorative sleep by playing special tones.
You can also find smart-eye masks, which have a detector that examines neural activity and sleep patterns. Both of these devices connect to apps.
Non-Wearable Sleep Trackers – If you’re interested in tracking your fitness or you’re not accustomed to wearing rings, watches, or bracelets whilst you sleep then opt for a non-wearable sleep tracker.
As the name suggests, non-wearable sleep trackers are not worn.
- Under the Mattress – You slip the thin sleep tracker under your mattress. Under-mattress sensors which are connected via a mobile app, send recorded data showing sleep details on heart rate, breathing and. sleep cycles.
- Smart Mattresses – Smart mattresses not only measure your sleep habits, but they provide enhanced customization allowing you to control the temperature, in many beds the mattresses are adjustable, enabling you to tailor your sleep conditions to your personal preference.
ADVANCED SLEEP METRICS
The most basic sleep trackers perform a single function to measure sleep. The more advanced sleep trackers provide you with so much more tracking information than just your movement during sleep.
Advanced sleep trackers provide you with detailed analytics as though you were conducting a sleep study at home.
Metrics collated include the five stages of sleep, sleep time, and other data. It helps to understand what these metrics are and how they can enable you to have recuperative sleep and enhance the quality of your sleep.
- Total Sleep – Total sleep is the duration from the time you turn your lights off or from your bedtime to the time it takes to fall asleep.
The total amount of sleep also looks at the time spent in any given sleep state. Total sleep time is the total sleep state minus the time awake.
Put simply, the total sleep time is the total of all REM and non-REM sleep in a sleep state.
- Efficiency – Sleep efficiency measures the quality of sleep and the percentage of time you are asleep from the time you go to bed.
A good sleep efficiency score for adults is around the 85% mark. As you age, the sleep efficiency score may diminish somewhat.
To get a higher sleep efficiency score, aim to be super tired and ready to fall asleep when you go to bed.
- Sleep Disturbances – Sleep disturbances are caused by waking up during the night, which can impact sleep quality and impair brain function.
The reason for these sleep disturbances can range from noise, pets, drinking liquids, and needing a bathroom break. In some instances falling asleep again may take some time, which will affect how fresh and rested you feel the next day.
To reduce sleep disturbances, try keeping a regular sleep schedule, avoiding naps, don’t eat large meals before bedtime, get treatment for pain so that it doesn’t keep you awake at night.
- REM (Rapid Eye Movement) Sleep – REM is the sleep that takes place during the course of the night, it’s marked by rapid eye movements, dreaming, a faster pulse, breathing, and bodily movements.
REM sleep is important to your sleep standard as it revitalizes your neuro functions, which are critical in memory retention and learning.
- Deep Sleep – Deep sleep is the sleep that is most remedial and invigorating and the sleep you need to feel bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning.
In this stage of sleep your cerebrum slows down, your blood pressure drops and your body is at its most relaxed.
- Sleep Latency – Sleep latency is the amount of time it takes you to fall asleep. A healthy sleep latency time is around 15 to 20 minutes.
If you hit the pillow and you’re fast asleep, this can be indicative that you’re getting insufficient sleep for your needs.
- Sleep Timing – Sleep timing is all about the halfway point of your sleep falling within a window from midnight and 3 am.
- Resting Heart Rate (RHR) – RHR is the number of times your heart beats when you are in a state of rest.
It is a good measurement of the quality of sleep and recovery you are getting. A normal RHR falls between 60 and 100 1beats per minute.
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) – RHR is the number of times your heart beats when you are in a state of rest.
It is a good measurement of the quality of sleep and recovery you are getting. A normal RHR falls between 60 and 100 beats per minute.
- Resting Heart Rate (RHR) – HRV measures specified changes or variability between consecutive heartbeats.
The time between each heartbeat is measured in milliseconds. Understanding your HRV can help you understand your preparedness.
- Respiratory Rate – Respiratory rate is the number of breaths you take per minute. On average a normal adult respiratory rate is around 13 to 20 breaths per minute while in a state of rest.
- Recovery Index –The recovery index looks at the time it takes for your resting heart rate to stabilize.
- Movement – How much movement occurs during sleep. The general rule of thumb is the more still you are, the more likely you are to be in a restful sleep state.
The more movement you have is associated with being awake and being active.
Environmental Characteristics – Many cutting-edge sleep trackers identify and monitor the temperature in your bedroom, how much light there is, and how noisy or quiet it is.
All these metrics can influence the overall quality of your sleep.
SmartPhone App – The lion’s share of sleep trackers are supported by a smart device app. Reviewing your sleep score report on your phone or an iPad or computer allows you to examine the data more comprehensively.
Most sleep trackers come with wireless or Bluetooth functionality.
Material Design – Pick something that is comfortable, especially if you opt for a wearable sleep tracker. If it’s a sleep and fitness tracker rolled in one, you’ll be wearing the sleep tracker day and night.
These days sleep tracker rings, bracelets and watches come in a multitude of colors, offering a variety of choices to match what fits your professional wardrobe and your casual style.
Non-wearable trackers are often made with thin fabric pads that either lie on your mattress or slip under your mattress.
Battery Life – Wearable sleep trackers can last several days with battery life. With a need for you to take the wearable sleep tracker off to recharge it every five to seven days.
Non-wearable sleep trackers must remain plugged into the wall the entire time in order for them to operate.
Budget – Single function sleep trackers are relatively inexpensive, as they only perform the singular function of monitoring your sleep.
The more sophisticated features a sleep tracker has, the higher the price tag. The price of these high-end sleep trackers can vary from $70 to $500.
Be clear on what you’re prepared to spend and what features you want as a basic standard in your sleep tracker.
Some sleep trackers require you to sign up for a monthly subscription service to have access to certain features, so make sure you read the fine print.
Warranty – Most sleep trackers, both wearable and non-wearable are covered by warranties ranging from 1 to 3 years.
- What is a sleep tracker?
- A sleep tracker is a device that monitors your sleep patterns. Depending on the sophistication of the sleep tracker it can monitor a wide range of sleep details, from the duration of your sleep, your sleep latency, your REM sleep, and non-REM sleep to name a few metrics.
The best sleep trackers can also dual function as fitness trackers. So you get to monitor your fitness activity and your sleep.
The best sleep trackers help you to identify underlying sleep issues such as sleep apnea, or other conditions.
They empower you to make modifications in your home sleeping habits to get better and curative sleep.
- How do sleep trackers work?
- Sleep trackers are wearable trackers or non-wearable trackers. Wearable sleep trackers are designed as a ring, a bracelet, or a watch. It’s a small device worn on your body, that records the activity of your body via sensors, measuring your periods of activity and inactivity and quantifying the quality of sleep from this.
Many cutting-edge sleep trackers monitor advanced data sources in addition to motion, such as HRV, RHR, respiratory rate, and recovery index to name a few sources.
- What are the stages of sleep?
- There are 5 stages of sleep. The first 3 stages are non-REM sleep. Stage 1 is the change of state from being awake to falling asleep.
In this stage, you are in light sleep. Stage 2 is the period of light sleep prior to entering deeper sleep. Most people spend time repeatedly in stage 2 vs. the other stages of sleep.
Stage 3 is the period of deep sleep, which allows you to awaken refreshed and active to seize the day. It is hardest to awaken you during stage 3.
Stage 4 and 5 are REM sleep. This can occur about an hour or more after falling asleep. Synonymous with rapid eye movement.
The greatest portion of dreaming occurs in the REM stage. As you grow older, the time slept in the REM stage declines slightly.
- What is a daily sleep score or sleep readiness score?
- The daily sleep score is an aggregate of your overall sleep statistics collected from various data parameters monitored and sleep patterns.
Scores typically range from 0 to 100 and indicate how well you slept the night before.
Your sleep data is then compared against sleep averages of your age and gender from published studies. This information is then fed into an algorithm, which generates your sleep score.
Readiness score on the other hand provides an overall measurement of your recuperation and indicates your level of performance capability cognitively and physically based on how well you slept the previous night.
- How accurate are sleep trackers?
- Some sleep trackers monitor the sole figures around movement during sleep, whilst other sleep trackers measure advanced sleep metrics.
Accuracy can vary from one device to another.
Sleep trackers that measure a range of statistics in addition to movement alone, such as body temperature, HRV, resting heart rate, as well as duration of sleep amongst other measurements are more likely to provide a more balanced picture of your sleeping habits.
- Who should have a sleep tracker?
- People interested in gaining greater insight into their sleep quality, sleep habits, and health aficionados out there would benefit from a sleep tracker.
- What are REM and Non-REM Sleep? – WebMD
- Brain Basics: Understanding Sleep – National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Do Sleep Trackers Really Work? – Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Comparisons of Wearable Trackers’ Ability to Estimate Sleep – PubMed
- 3 Reasons to Track Sleep on Your Smart Watch or Fitness Tracker – Cleveland Clinic
- How to Use Fitness Trackers for Sleep Assessment – VeryWell Health
- The Power of Restorative Sleep – American Psychological Association
- Commercially Available Wearable Provides Valid Estimate of Sleep Stages – Neurology
- Effects of Wearables on Sleep in Healthy Individuals: A Randomized Crossover Trial and Validation Study – Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Sleep Efficiency – Science Direct