Whether you’re traveling or in your own home, you’ve had a long day, a tiring week for that matter. You finally fall into bed, itching to get some much-needed shut-eye.
You’re being kept awake by the annoying noise of your partner snoring, or the generator from a nearby building, or the street traffic, or countless other annoying sounds.
You can’t drown out all the racket, to get calm enough to get a good night’s sleep. Millions of people have been using noise reduction earplugs for years, either by personal preference or as a result of a medical advice diagnosis received.
When you have comfortable earplugs for sleeping, they are compact, easy to use, and are a relatively inexpensive way of noise masking sounds that disturb your sleep.
There’s so much choice, from shapes that fit snugly in the ear canals, material, disposable ear plugs to washable and reusable ones. From reducing noise sleepbuds to the more high-tech noise-canceling or noise masking devices.
We reviewed countless earbuds to bring you the best earplugs for sleeping. Keep reading the reviews below and reduce the noise.
Ear Plugs for Sleeping
Individuals who like earplugs that have a flanged tip and an elongated tab that make it easy to pull out of the ears will love the Anbow Reusable Silicone EarPlugs.
Made from high-grade silicone, you have the option of corded earplugs for sleepers who find earplugs can fall out at night and the cord allows you to locate them quickly.
On the other hand, you have 2 pairs that are cordless, allowing you to be free as a bird.
Easy to use, you just spin and insert them into your ear. The ultra-soft substance and ergonomically designed shape provide excellent noise-canceling for sleeping, traveling, and swimming and are transposable and durable.
The earplugs are individually packed in a plastic storage box and come with a waterproof pouch for travel and outdoor use.
Enjoy using them every night and wear them with maximum comfort.
- Made from high-grade silicone
- BPA free & hypoallergenic
- 3 pairs (one corded pair & 2 cordless)
- 32dB NRR
- Waterproof pouch
- Plastic case included
- Brand: Anbow
- Model: Reusable Silicone Ear Plugs
- Size: 5.12 x 3.35 x 0.73 inches
- Weight: 1.59 ounces
- Easy to use
- Recyclable & washable
- Good for sleepers that like a flanged tip
- Good for planes
- Suitable for back sleepers
- Not ideal for side sleepers
The Flare Audio Sleeep® Pro Sleeping Earplug is a dream come true for homebodies and travelers alike looking for a quality pair of earplugs. The Sleeep Pro is made from a precision-turned titanium core with dual tips and super soft yet durable expanded material ear plugs.
Sound is significantly minimized by the change in density of materials. Made of soft memory foam tips and a solid titanium core, these are comfortable earplugs.
Small and compact, the pair come in stylish black. So whether you wear these babies out in public or in the privacy of your own home, you won’t attract strange looks, just hearing protection.
Even if you do encounter mutterings from fellow passengers, you won’t care because you won’t be able to hear them with the blocking of the noise. The less you know the better you sleep!
- Grade 5 titanium core with dual tips
- Comfortable durable memory cellular material
- Easy to clean
- Blocks frequencies evenly
- 3 sizes: XS, S, M - Replaceable memory foam tips
- Flare mesh carry pouch
- Black color
- Brand: Flare Audio
- Model: Sleeep® Pro Sleeping Earplug
- Size: 0.8 x 2.4 x 6.2 inches
- Weight: 2.11 ounces
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Great for sleeping, traveling & commuting
- 3 sizes
- Dual-tips for extra comfort for individuals who sleep on the side
- Ideal for drowning out snoring
- Moderately priced
- Take’s a bit of wiggling around to get in right
The DubsLabs Bedphones Sleep Headphones are a must-have for individuals seeking to block unwanted noise but aren’t fans of in-ear phones.
Designed with infinity adjustable memory wire ear hooks that fit all ears, sleeping soundlessly has never been easier.
You have the Bedphones wired (Gen 3.5) which is the classic version that comes with a rubber-coated memory wire for an adjustable custom fit.
Or if you’re not a fan of having wires around while you sleep, you have the Bedphones Wireless earplugs.
You can fall asleep listening to your favorite music, podcasts, block out snoring, and relieve tinnitus. Bedphones operate via Bluetooth headphones that connect through your smart device.
Where the Bedphones differ from other standard Bluetooth headphones is, they are designed to rest flat against your ear, enabling you to have a great sleep experience with the headphones on.
- Quarter-inch thick & covered in soft foam
- On-ear design lies flat
- Bedphones wired (Gen 3.5) with rubber-coated memory wire
- Bedphones wireless with Bluetooth 3.0 wireless audio & 13-hour battery
- Adjustable memory wire ear-hooks
- Superior sound quality
- CSR chip, inline remote with mic
- Charging port
- Volume & music track control
- Brand: Moonbow
- Model: DubsLabs Bedphones Sleep Headphones
- Size: 5.8 x 4 x 1.9 inches
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- 1-year warranty
- 30-day return policy
- International shipping (fees apply)
- Good pick for side & back sleepers
- Suitable for travel
- Perfect choice for people who don’t like in-ear plugs
- Option of wireless/non-wireless wear
- Don’t have active noise cancelation
Clear silicone-rubber hush earbuds with noise-blocking functionality from Hearheed High Fidelity Decibel Reducing EarPlugs are a real treat in blocking irritating sounds that keep you awake.
The hypoallergenic natural soft silicone material earplugs whilst recyclable, require little maintenance.
With an NRR of 28dB, High Fidelity has an edge to reduce sounds such as background noise, but sounds like speech and other sounds remain natural and clear around you.
This is ideal if your parents and you still want to be able to hear if your children call for you, or home emergencies.
The aluminum carrying case makes it super convenient to put these sleep earbuds in your travel luggage.
Take the plunge and drown out the excessive background sounds. Peaceful sleep and hearing protection are within your grasp.
- Hypoallergenic natural silicone material earplugs for sleep
- Off-white transparent color
- 28 dB NRR
- Standard size fits all
- Aluminum carrying case & cord
- Brand: Hearheed
- Model: High Fidelity Decibel Reducing Ear Plugs
- Size: 4.9 x 4.2 x 0.4 inches
- Weight: 1.58 ounces
- Soft & comfortable & reduce noise
- An ideal pick for frequent flyers
- Good choice for lovers of foam earplugs
- Reusable earplugs & are the best overall
- Great pair of sleep earbuds for back, front & combo sleepers
- Uncomfortable for individuals who sleep on the side
- Not for those seeking noise cancellation
There’s a reason Mack’s Pillow Soft® Silicone Putty EarPlugs are the original number 1 selling and doctor-recommended earplugs.
A single pack has 6 moldable silicone circle-shaped earplugs ideal for protection from loud noises and offer waterproof protection.
They are an attractive choice due to their reusability and moldability, ensuring they fit all ears making them extremely comfortable whatever size ear you have.
Ideal for people who seek the reduction of noise but not complete noise cancellation, and are looking for a bargain.
- Moldable, non-irritating silicone rubber pair
- 22 dB NRR
- Available in 3 colors
- BPA free, non-toxic hypoallergenic sleepbuds
- Waterproof protection & protection from loud noises
- Lab-tested - relieve airplane pressure
- Number 1 recommended on medical advice
- Brand: Mack's
- Model: Pillow Soft® Silicone Putty Ear Plugs
- Size: 5.25 x 3.75 x 1 inches
- Weight: 4.66 ounces
- Multi-purpose, great for snoring & swimming & to reduce noise
- For fans of silicone best earplugs for sleeping
- Good for the average-sized auditory canal
- Ideal for all slumber positions
- Good for individuals looking for moderate noise reduction
- Budget-friendly price
- Not for people preferring the firmness of wax or foam earbuds
If you’re not a fan of foam earplugs or silicone-rubber sleepbuds, then the Ohropax Wax EarPlugs are for you.
The round-shaped earplugs are made from a soft wax and covered with cotton.
The cotton wool is soaked in vaseline and various paraffin waxes, resulting in effective noise-absorbing wax earplugs.
The advantage of these earplugs is that you can insert them easily into your ear, no fiddling or right angle required and the wax simply molds to the shape of your ear for a truly customized fit offering an NRR of 23 dB.
What’s more, you can reuse them following the care instructions provided.
For some, the only drawback to the Ohropax earplugs is as they are made of Vaseline and various paraffin waxes, they can leave a sticky residue in your ear post-usage.
Whilst this is not such an inconvenience when you’re at home, this can be a bit of a stickler if you’re traveling or away from home.
If the sticky wax remains don’t ruffle your feathers, go ahead and enjoy the silence!
- Soft wax compound covered with cotton
- Cotton wool soaked in Vaseline & paraffin waxes
- Skin color
- Noise absorbing wax plugs
- A tight seal protects against moisture & wind
- Free of latex, PVC & plasticizers
- 23 dB NRR
- Brand: Ohropax
- Model: Wax Ear Plugs
- Size: 2.44 x 1.58 x 0.79 inches
- Weight: 0.02 ounces
- Multi-purpose, great for snoring, swimming & travel
- Discreet & adapts to fit all ears
- Reusable & washable
- Can be used for several hours
- Good for people seeking moderate noise reduction
- For individuals who prefer soft moldable earplugs
- Made of Vaseline & paraffin wax - can leave a waxy & sticky residue
Foam ear plug fans will be delighted to know that Mack’s has made it into our list for the second time with Mack’s Ultra Soft Foam EarPlugs with rave reviews.
Constructed in a bell-shaped, discreet neutral color made of polyurethane foam. It features low pressure and the soft foam releases slowly to fill the ear canal.
Ideal for sleepers who want to block out all unwanted noise with an impressive 33 dB NRR but don’t want to pay an arm and leg for it.
Mack’s provides a large pack of 50 pairs of earplugs, ideal for regular users who prefer single use earplugs.
- Made from polyurethane foam
- 33 dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
- Skin color
- Number 1 brand for snoring, peaceful sleep
- Made in the USA
- One jar contains 50 pairs of foam earplugs
- Brand: Mack's
- Model: Ultra Soft Ear Plugs
- Size: 4.25 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches
- Weight: 0.25 pounds
- Affordable price
- Good for foam earplugs fans
- A good option for all sleep positions including side sleepers
- Extreme protection
- Ideal for sleepers with medium-large ear canals
- Good for individuals looking for disposable single-use ear plugs
- Not ideal if you need to hear kids or home emergencies
- Not for people wanting water protection
If you don’t want to toss and turn with loud music or the honking of the cars outside is driving you nuts, then the Howard Leight’s MAX-1 EarPlugs may be the right choice for you. Price-wise, MAX-1 is cheap and cheerful.
Constructed in a bell-shaped cellular material for good contouring and easy application, they offer high-level noise reduction for disposable earplugs with a noise reduction rating of 33 dB.
Yes, you heard correctly! They are designed to remain in place making it comfortable for you to insert them in your ear and have uninterrupted sweet dreams.
- Good design for easy application
- Soil-resistant cell-foam skin
- 33 dB NRR
- Brand: Honeywell
- Model: Howard Leight’s MAX-1 Foam Ear Plugs
- Size: 8 x 8 x 3.75 inches
- Weight: 0.16 ounces
- One size fits all
- 1-year warranty
- Ideal for sleepers seeking a high level of noise masking
- Not for fans of silicone or wax
The Decibullz Custom Molded EarPlugs are quite impressive, to say the least. You heat the Thermoplastic earplugs in boiling water, let them cool for a bit and voila you insert them into your ears and shape them to fit your ear canal. Super easy.
The Decibullz unique selling point is its ability to isolate noise. All sound and noise will not be completely canceled, you will be able to hear with the earplugs.
They are great in masking sounds like those at a shooting range or during travel, but you still remain alert to your surroundings.
Or when you’re sleeping at home, but you don’t want to remain oblivious to home emergencies or family members needing you.
- Re-moldable Thermoplastic earplugs
- 32dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
- 3 different sized triple flange tips - S, M, L
- Comes with 1 set of medium cellular material tips
- Travel pouch
- Noise isolation
- Brand: Decibullz
- Model: Custom Molded Ear Plugs
- Size: 4.5 x 3.5 x 1.25 inches
- Weight: 0.64 ounces
- Multi-purpose: sleep, traveling, swimming, loud concerts
- Available in 6 colors
- Good pick for all sleeping positions to block unwanted noise
- Must mold at home in hot water
The Hearprotek Sleeping EarPlugs is an excellent choice for all you ladies out there who want something feminine, stylish, concealed, and secure to block irritating sound obstructing your sleep.
Ergonomically shaped with a 3 layer flange ear plug and recyclable, Hearprotek can be worn for several hours and remains comfortable.
You have the option of 2 sizes for the earplugs, the standard size comes with a higher NRR at 32 dB, or you have a small size with 30 dB NRR.
Made with hypoallergenic and non-toxic substances gives you peace of mind that allergies won’t be triggered.
Hearprotek comes with a sturdy aluminum case for easy transportation. Lie back and muffle out all those unwanted sounds and restore your sleep health.
- Standard size 3-flange earplugs with 32dB NRR
- Small size 2-flange earplugs with 30dB NRR
- 3 sizes available for plastic ear wings
- Memory foam ear tips
- Detachable cord
- Aluminum storage case
- Made with hypoallergenic & non-toxic material
- Brand: Hearprotek
- Model: Sleeping Ear Plugs
- Size: 3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1.59 ounces
- Featherlight & comfortable
- Perfect for side sleepers
- A great pick for sleepers with small ear canals & women
- Can be reused
- Good for travel, sleep & meditation
- Not for sleepers seeking high noise reduction
- Not for swimmers
It doesn’t get more peaceful than with the QuietOn Snore canceling Wireless Earbuds from ZQuiet. With a single-minded focus on blocking out the noise to help you sleep, these sleepbuds don’t enable you to play music or to listen to podcasts.
There’s no app or Bluetooth storage built-in. QuietOn ear plugs come with 2 different modes, ‘hearing’ mode and ‘silent’ mode that you can switch between.
When you’re in a hearing mode, you’re able to hear outside noise. When you’re in silent mode, noise-cancellation is activated. No more snores!
The earplugs come with medium-sized silicone tips. QuietOn comes with smaller and larger pairs of earbuds, allowing you to get the right fit for you. You can charge it via its charging case powered by a USB cable.
It takes 1 hour to fully charge and once charged the battery life lasts for 20 hours.
Embrace the silence.
- Traditional expanded material ear plugs
- Active noise-canceling
- 2 different modes: Hearing & Silent
- 1 hour to charge. 20 hours per charge
- Multiple sized ear tips
- Micro-USB cable
- Storage/charging case
- Brand: ZQuiet
- Model: QuietOn Snore Cancelling Wireless Earbuds
- Size: 9.72 x 7.83 x 2.8 inches
- Weight: 7.41 ounces
- 1-year warranty
- 60-night better sleep guarantee or refund
- Perfect for suppressing snoring
- Reusable & rechargeable
- Great for back, front & combo sleeping individuals looking to improve sleep health
- Great for sleeping, traveling & concerts to preserve hearing health
- Expensive price
- Not ideal for side sleepers or people with smaller ears
Ultra-comfortable and transposable silicone-rubber earplugs will impress the lightest of sleepers with the Eargrace Noise Reduction EarPlugs.
Sporting a 2 layer flange ergonomic design, complete with ear hooks modeled in the shape of a human ear canal, ensuring it seals your auditory canal to block the noise out effectively.
Eargrace offers 3 different ear plug sizes, allowing you to find the right size for you. The earplugs are made from a non-toxic silicone substance, giving you comfort all day or night from snores and other unwanted noise.
Eargrace earplugs are great to cut out noise that affects your sleep, whether you’re a side, back, or combo sleeper. Go on and sleep with grace.
- 2 layer flange ergonomic design with ear hooks
- Silicone-rubber earplugs
- Attenuation filter
- 3 pairs of different sized ear plugs included
- 32dB NRR
- Made from non-toxic silicone
- Brand: Eargrace
- Model: Noise Reduction Ear Plugs
- Size: 3.4 x 3.35 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 1.45 ounces
- Fits ears of all shapes & sizes
- Transposable & washable
- Good for sleepers with small ear canals
- Good for planes
- Suitable for side sleepers
- Not for sleepers looking for noise cancellation
Ear Plugs for SleepingBuying Guide
It may be that your partner snores incessantly, or you’re staying at a hotel for a night or more and it’s super noisy, or you’re traveling by plane or train and you simply want to drown out all the noise around you to get some precious shut-eye.
Sleep ear plugs are an effective but inexpensive way of drowning out all kinds of noise. Below we’ve compiled a detailed buyers guide to aid you, on what characteristics to bear in mind before making your purchase.
Material – Most of the earplugs out in the market are made of one of three materials:
- Foam – Foam ear plugs are the most common and most inexpensive. They are primarily designed for usage once, although you could use them a few times before disposing of them.
In terms of shape, foam earplugs are soft and circular, often with one end slightly narrower.
When they are inserted in the ear canal, they expand to fill the space. The type of foam ear plugs have is high-density foam and memory foam.
- Silicone – Silicone earplugs are constructed to cover the entrance of the ear, with minimal penetration. They are easy to apply but are more expensive than their foam counterparts. The advantage is they can be reused time and time again.
- Wax – Wax earplugs are not so common and are expensive, especially with them principally designed for one-time usage. If your budget permits buy these as they are quite effective in drowning out the noise.
Shape – Ear plugs are available in a variety of shapes. From the classic circular shape, to shaped like a bell, T-shaped or malleable.
Which shape you opt for depends on what size your ear canal is and what your sleep position is.
Size – Earplugs are typically designed for a one-size-fits-all. Having said that, depending on your ears, some designs may be too narrow or wide for you and will not feel comfortable.
Finding the right size for you may come down to trial-and-error.
Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) – The higher the NRR rating is for earplugs, the more effective they are at canceling noise out.
Most ear plugs fall between the range of 20 and 34 dB. The highest NNR rating is around 27+ and ear plugs with this NNR rating are considered top-quality noise cancellers.
Comfort – This comes down to personal taste, but think about whether you want the ear plug to fit into the ear canal, or do you prefer it to cover your ear?
What will be more comfortable for you whilst you sleep? Both block out sound effectively. If you have any allergies, this will also impact the material that is most comfortable for you.
Number of Uses – The lion’s share of foam ear plugs are for one-time usage only, although many individuals use them a few times before disposing of them.
The one-time-use ear plugs may also be a good option if your ears produce a lot of wax. On the other hand, wax and silicone ear plugs can be used for longer periods if they are stored and cleaned regularly.
It’s worth considering paying more for reusable ear plugs.
Travel-Friendly – You definitely should look for ear plugs that offer a cover to carry/pack them in. If you plan to use ear plugs for plane travel, ensure they are suitable for plane use.
Price – This depends on the material of the ear plugs and your budget. Foam ear plugs are quite cheap. On the other end of the spectrum, if you want reusable earplugs with high NRR, they will be pricier.
Ear Plugs for SleepingFAQ
- Who can use ear plugs for sleeping?
- Any healthy adult can use ear plugs for sleeping.
It is an effective and economical way to cancel out external noises, be it a snoring partner, noisy neighbors, traffic, or noise from living in a hustling and bustling commercial area.
- What are the benefits of using noise-canceling ear plugs for sleeping?
- They are an inexpensive way of getting a good night’s sleep. They are small and compact, so you can use them during travel or if you want to concentrate on a particular task.
If you work night shifts and sleep during the day, ear plugs may be a lifesaver for you, allowing you to get sleep.
- Are there health risks for people sleeping with earplugs?
- Like everything, ear plugs do come with some side effects that you should be aware of.
Earwax Impaction - Wax helps protect your ear canal from water, infection, the buildup of dirt, injury, and foreign objects. Earwax normally drains out of your ear. Consistent usage of ear plugs can cause too much wax to build up in your ear, causing problems.
This excess buildup of wax is called earwax impaction. To prevent this from happening clean your ears and your ear plugs regularly.
Where you have reusable ear plugs, make sure these are replaced as instructed.
Ear Infections - Ensure you clean your reusable ear plugs to prevent ear infections from developing.
Ear infections are more prone to develop with foam ear plugs being reused and not having been cleaned properly.
Minimized Hearing - The advantage of ear plugs is that they keep external noises at bay.
The disadvantage can be that you’re prevented from hearing certain emergency noises in the event of an intruder or a fire in your home, or your children calling for you.
If you’re in public, and you’re napping your guard may be down and you may not be alert to safety situations around you.
- How often should you change your reusable ear plugs?
- The lifespan of ear plugs very much depends on the frequency that you use them.
If you use your ear plugs once or twice a year when you are traveling for vacations, a set of good-quality ear plugs could last you up to 3 to 4 years.
On the other hand, if you use your ear plugs for sleeping every night, you should look at replacing them at least every 3 months.
Ear Plugs for SleepingSOURCES
- How to Sleep When Someone Is Snoring – Wikihow
- Earplug – Wikipedia
- Impacted Earwax – Cedars Sinai
- Sound Therapies – American Tinnitus Association
- https://www.columbianeurology.org/neurology/staywell/snoring – Columbia University Department of Neurology
- Breathing and Snoring Sound Characteristics during Sleep in Adults – NCBI
- 7 Tips for Sleeping with Someone who Snores – Healthline