If you’re setting up a home gym, it’s worth pondering the purchase of an adjustable dumbbell as opposed to the more traditional weights. It can be overwhelming to know what the right home gym plan should be for you.
What you opt for comes down to how much you are willing to pay, how much space you have at home, and your fitness goals along with any other needs you might have.
Adjustable dumbbells are a single pair of dumbbells that allow you to adjust the weight to make the dumbbells heavier or lighter. How you adjust the weight varies from different models and brands.
Adjustable dumbbells are more expensive than a weights set, but you get around 12 to 18 different weight sets in one pair of dumbbells, saving you money and immense space.
So it’s worth digging deeper and doing your homework on why so many fitness fans are buying adjustable weights to furnish their home gym.
We’ve done the heavy lifting for you to bring you the shortlist of the best adjustable dumbbells. Get ready to take your strength training to the next level in the privacy of your home.
For fitness enthusiasts looking to equip your home gym on a budget, the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells are a must for you.
You’ll never want to go back to splurging out on a set of fixed weights once you’re acquainted with these dumbbells.
The Bowflex SelectTech 552, replaces 15 sets of weights in one dumbbell pair.
With 15 different weight settings in increments of 2.5 pounds and each dumbbell adjusting from 5 pounds to 52.5 pounds, you’ll be able to push your strength training outside your comfort zone.
Adjusting the weights is done via the selection dials. Easily switch from one exercise to the next with the turn of a dial, enabling you to change your resistance and gradually increasing your strength.
So whether you want to do light exercises or lift heavier weights, the Bowflex SelectTech is at your disposal.
With 15 weight settings rolled into one compact dumbbell set, the Bowflex SelectTech 552 allows you to do versatile workouts for your legs, backs, chest, abs, shoulders, and arms.
Weight plates have durable molding and the handgrips are covered with rubber for premium grip and smooth lift-offs and quieter workouts.
Unlike a set of fixed weights which take a lot of space, the Bowflex SelectTech 552 is compact and requires less storage space.
Once you’ve worked out with the Bowflex SelectTech 552, you’ll be hooked!
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds (2.27 to 23.8kg) for each dumbbell
- Adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds & after that in 5-pound increments
- Select the weight you want with a turn of the dial
- The equivalent of combining 15 sets of dumbbells into one set
- Hand grips covered with rubber for premium grip
- Durable molding around the metal plates to reduce noise
- Brand: Bowflex
- Model: Bowflex SelecTech 552 Dumbbells
- Size: 15.75 L x 8 W x 9 H - inches
- 2-year warranty
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Returns permitted within 6 weeks delivery
- Standard shipping to the contiguous US free
- Affordable & cheaper than buying a fixed set of weights
- Easy to use
- Saves space
- Some users report dials to need be replaced after 1-2 years
- Hard plastic not as durable as metal
- Don't deliver to P.O. Boxes
The Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbells Set is the ideal choice of weights for any die-hard fitness junkie wanting to alternate different weights during their strength workouts.
With a whopping maximum weight of 71.5 pounds per dumbbell, the Merax Deluxe is the ideal choice for advanced strength trainers looking to take their training to the next level and upping the ante.
With weight increments of 5.5 pounds, you’ll be put through your paces on a regular basis.
The Merax Deluxe is an expensive purchase, but when you’re getting 12 different sets of weights rolled into one pair, you’re getting value for your money and making a long-term investment in your fitness journey.
Breeze through your workouts without delays to load heavier weights.
Weight can be adjusted efficiently with a unique dial system, allowing you to change to your desired weight and do a multitude of exercises.
The Merax Deluxe comes with a sturdy rack, enabling smoother pick up of the weights and offering secure storage, keeping your home gym organized and minimizing clutter.
Advanced lifters out there will fall heavily for these heavier dumbbells!
- Adjustable Dumbbell Set
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 11 to 71.5 pounds, in 5.5-pound increments
- Weight adjustment - Dial system
- Comes with ABS constructed support storage trays
- Dumbbells & weight plates made of steel
- Caps of selector element made of hard ABS plastic parts
- Convex shaped handles are rubberized
- Brand: Merax
- Model: Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbells Set
- Size: 16.5L x 8 W x 9 H - inches
- 2-year warranty
- Fast adjustment system
- Suitable for a variety of exercise combinations requiring different weights
- Ideal for advanced strength trainers with a maximum weight of 71.5 pounds to beginners
- Getting 12 sets of weights in 1 pair of dumbbells
- Dumbbell weights marked in kg only, not in pounds
The PowerBlock Sport 24 Pounds Adjustable Dumbbells are adjustable dumbbells that any newbie, intermediate, or women strength trainers should opt for.
With the PowerBlock 24 pounds, you can wave goodbye to switching plates, screwing up collars, or complicated and lengthy adjustment mechanisms that take time.
Time truly is of the essence, when you’re midway through a workout. To make an adjustment to the weight you simply remove the magnetic selector pin and insert it back into the weight stack at the weight you wish to lift.
The selector pin is constructed from a polyurethane material, durable and ideal for supporting a range of heavyweights.
You want a pair of adjustable dumbbells that are durable. With the PowerBlock 24 pounds, you won’t be disappointed, as durability is their middle name. It’s an unfortunate hazard but dumbbells get knocked around, accidentally dropped, so robust material is key.
The PowerBlock 24 pounds can handle a knock or two and the only plastic material they have is the handles, not around the weight itself.
Backed by a solid ten-year warranty, you don’t have to be worried about the quality of these dumbbells.
If you opt for the PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells the only thing that will make you break out into a sweat is your strength routine.
- Pair of adjustable dumbbell weights
- Adjust from 3 to 24 pounds, in 3-pound increments (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 & 24 pounds)
- Adjustment system - magnetic selector pin
- Padded handles
- Weight stacks - Welded solid steel construction & powder-coated finish
- Auto-lock - to make micro-adjustments
- Replaces 8 pairs of dumbbells in 1 pair
- Brand: PowerBlock
- Model: Sport 24 Pounds Adjustable Dumbbells
- Size: 10.5 x 5.2 x 5 inches
- 10-year warranty
- Ideal weight for beginners & intermediate trainers
- Suitable medium weights for women
- Great quality for the price range
- Fast adjustment times
- Sturdy & well designed
- Maybe too light for seasoned weight trainers
- Storage stand not included
- No expansion packs with this set
The SogaWave Adjustable Dial Dumbbells, are an impressive pair of adjustable dumbbells, giving you 5 dumbbells in 1 pair.
The SogaWave Adjustable Dial comes with a select-a-weight adjustment mechanism, with weights ranging from 5 to 25 pounds in 5-pound increments.
The weight is quick and easy to adjust. Slide the pin to the weight you’d like and you can start working out. It’s that easy!
The weight plates are made of solid steel, sprayed with a high-quality coating for extra durability, and handle grips have slip-resistant and sweatproof knurling, making workouts safer and more comfortable.
The SogaWave Adjustable Dial Dumbbells enable strength training with a multitude of weight ranges, allowing basic body workouts, core fitness, strength exercises, and leg lifts.
With its compact design and great weight range, you get value for your buck and a storage stand making it easy to store when not in use.
One thing’s for sure, once stored these adjustable dumbbells will be out of sight but not out of mind.
- Pair of adjustable dumbbells
- Contoured, textured & soft-grip handle design
- Replaces 4 pairs of dumbbells in 1 pair
- Adjustment system - select a weight
- Adjust from 5 to 25 pounds, in 3-pound increments
- Solid steel plates sprayed with a high-quality coating
- Storage tray included
- Brand: SogaWave
- Model: SogaWave Adjustable Dial Dumbbells
- Size: 21 x 16 x 10 inches
- Ideal for basic body workouts
- Good for fitness & strength training at home
- Suitable for beginners & women
- Quick & easy to adjust
- Take minimal storage space
- Too light for seasoned strength trainers
The Wolfyok Fitness Dumbbell Set is a must purchase for budget seekers.
The sweet spot for these adjustable dumbbells is the range of weights from the smaller 12.8 pounds to the maximum weight of 44 pounds.
Not only do you get a set of an adjustable dumbbell set, but you also get a connecting rod that can be assembled as a barbell.
Giving you two key pieces of fitness equipment for a modest price, which makes the Wolfyok Fitness Dumbbell set a steal.
Constructed of a cement mixed substance and polyethylene this dumbbells kit offers various weight options allowing diverse multi-functional strength training, no matter what your preference of training is.
The unique octagon-shaped dumbbell plates are designed to prevent the plates from rolling and enable compact storage.
The connecting rod is encased with foam to reduce compressions on the neck and to relieve fatigue.
The adjustable dumbbells are coated with rubber, ensuring that despite getting sweaty hands when training you’ll still have a firm grip.
The Wolfyok Fitness Dumbbell Set is an outstanding addition to any home gym.
Allowing three ways of training with the dumbbells, the barbell with the connecting rod as well as push-ups.
One thing is for sure, your workouts will never get monotonous and you’ll constantly be challenging your body with the Wolfyok Fitness Dumbbell Set.
- Adjustable dumbbells pair & barbell 2-in-1
- Available in a smaller size 12.8 pounds to a max of 44 pounds
- Octagen shaped weight plates
- 4x 2.8/3.3/4.4 pounds counterweight
- 2x 0.6 pounds dumbbell handle
- 0.8 pounds connecting rod & 4x screw nuts
- Non-slip design with rubber-coated handle
- Quick conversion between dumbbell & barbell, with connecting rod
- Brand: Wolfyok
- Model: Wolfyok Fitness Dumbbell Set
- Size: 19.13 x 8.88 x 6.38 inches
- Good option for budget seekers
- Easy to assemble & adjust
- Ideal for use whilst walking, running, cardio, weight training
- Suitable for people looking to shape their body & improve strength training
- Adjustable dumbbells come with a foam barbell
- Compact storage
- Handles are plastic
- Weight plates labeled in kg only, not in pounds
For die-hard strength trainers, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better pair of adjustable dumbbells than the Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Set.
Offering a whopping range of weights from 5 to 50 pounds per dumbbell, these beauties are not for the faint-hearted.
The compact and adjustable twist handle design allows adjusting weight increments of 5 pounds to be easy peasy.
The dumbbell handle ends feature a dual-sided weight selection window.
The contoured, textured, and soft-grip handle design provides comfort and secure grip control, allowing you to focus solely on your reps and maintaining the correct form.
Twist Lock technology enables you to change the weight setting with one hand.
Simply set the dumbbell in the aluminum weight cradle, twist the handle, and the weight changes quickly and safely.
A great investment, giving you 10 pairs of different weights in one pair of dumbbell sets.
You won’t need to go out and buy several weights to have a full range of weights like a gym.
The Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Set really does prove, less is more.
- Pair of adjustable dumbbells
- Two cradles & exercise guide
- Weight adjustment mechanism - Twist Lock Technology
- Adjust from 5 to 50 pounds, in 5-pound increments
- Contoured, textured & soft-grip handle design
- Aluminum weight cradles
- Compatible with Core Fitness Dumbbell stand (sold separately)
- Brand: Core Fitness
- Model: Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Set
- Size: 14.5 L x 7.9 W x 7.5 H inches
- 2-year warranty
- 30-days return
- Quick & easy weight adjustment
- Replaces 10 pairs of dumbbells in a single dumbbell
- Easy to use Twist Lock technology
- Reasonably priced
- Ideal for committed strength trainers seeking dumbbells where they can increase weights over time
- Ideal for more experienced strength trainers
- May have to hold cradle down when choosing heavier weights
The DDFE Adjustable Dumbbell Barbell Lifting Set makes it into our shortlist of must-have adjustable dumbbells.
Not only do you get sturdy adjustable dumbbells, but you also get a barbell connecting rod and four spinlock collars.
Ideal for both men, women, and newbies, with a maximum weight of 40 pounds this DDFE Lifting Set is the ideal equipment to adorn your home gym, enabling you to build your body shape and your strength.
This 2-in-1 weight set can be used as an adjustable dumbbell set or as a barbell to lift weights.
For barbell lifting, simply connect the rod to link the two sides of the dumbbell together.
It comes with a PE cover, making it soft and impact-resistant. It boasts rubber-covered handles, oozing a stylish unisex appearance.
Weight plates are covered in rubber to prevent any floor damage in your home.
You’ll feel safe working out with the DDFE Lifting Set handles, which have a solid grip with an anti-skid design and come complete with thickened screws and deep threads, making them solid and stable.
Safety first is the key motto with the DDFE Lifting Set.
It has padding for squatting, ensuring the neck and shoulder are protected from rough knurling on weight lifting bars, keeping you focused solidly on reps and great form.
The DDFE Adjustable Dumbbell Barbell Lifting Set delivers in spades.
- 2-in-1 weights set. Can be used as dumbbell set & barbell
- Adjustable dumbbells set, with a max weight of 40 pounds
- Rubber covered handle
- Weight plates covered with rubber cover to prevent floor damage
- Includes 4x 4 pounds. 4x 2.8 pounds. 4x 3.3-pound weights
- 2 Dumbbell Bars
- 1 Barbell Connecting Rod
- 4 Spinlock Collars
- Brand: DDFE
- Model: DDFE Adjustable Dumbbell Barbell Lifting Set
- Size: 19 x 18.5 x 7 inches
- 1-year limited warranty
- Ideal for people seeking multi-functional home gym equipment
- Can easily alternate between dumbbell & barbell exercises
- Great for strength training
- Suitable for fitness enthusiasts of all levels
- Easy to adjust the weight composition
- On the pricey side
The NordicTrack Select A Weight 55 Pounds Dumbbell Set is a standout choice for a home gym adjustable dumbbell set.
Not only do you save space with the NordicTrack Select A Weight, but you get to hold multiple combinations of weights on the dumbbell hand grips.
Weights can be adjusted with a dial-a-system, making it super easy to increase or decrease weight between sets or different exercises.
To adjust the weight, push the selector knob and rotate it to the desired weight. The dumbbell plates are shaped like polygons, preventing any mishaps of weight plates rolling.
Whether you are a newbie or a seasoned trainer, the NordicTrack Select A Weight caters to all fitness levels with weights starting as low as 10 pounds to a maximum of 55 pounds.
You get 15 pairs of traditional dumbbells in 1 compact set. Enabling you to work your whole body and cross-train with a variety of exercises without cluttering your home with several dumbbells.
Storage is made easier with two storage trays included.
Making excuses of not being able to get to the gym just became a whole lot harder, with these impressive NordicTrack Select A Weight dumbbell sets being in your home.
Change your body and mind one lift at a time!
- Adjustable dumbbell set
- Storage tray included
- Adjustment mechanism - select-a-weight
- Weights range from 10 to 55 pounds, with weight increments of 2.5 pounds & 5 pounds
- 15 weights in one dumbbell set
- 1-year iFit membership for interactive training
- Brand: NordicTrack
- Model: NordicTrack Select A Weight 55 Pounds Dumbbell Set
- Size: 28 L x 22 W x 12 H - inches
- Returns permitted within 30 days of receipt
- Quick & easy adjustment system
- Compact storage
- Price includes 1-year iFit membership
- Complete weight set in 1-pair of dumbbells
- Ideal option for fitness enthusiasts of all levels
- 90-day warranty only
Whether you’re relegated to your home due to the pandemic or you just want to set up a home gym for your convenience, the ATIVAFIT Adjustable Dumbbell is a welcomed addition to complete your strength equipment.
The ATIVAFIT dumbbell is sold individually and not as a pair. To ensure you receive a pair of dumbbells, make sure to order two single dumbbells.
The price of two single dumbbells is still budget-friendly, especially when you think the ATIVAVIT dumbbell set gives you 7 different weight sets in one dumbbell pair.
Weight adjustments are quick and easy to do with a push-pull design.
The dumbbell is strong and durable and with its compact design is super convenient to store, occupying minimal storage space.
If there is one shortcoming, it’s that the ATIVAFIT weights are labeled only in kg and not in pounds too. H
owever, if you’re not fussed about creating a simple weight conversation chart from kg to pounds then this one minor deficiency won’t be a deal-breaker for you.
Start improving your total body fitness today!
- Each dumbbell is sold individually, so to make a pair order two
- Glide Tech adjuster
- Weight setting from 11 pounds to 44 pounds (2.5 - 20kg)
- Weight increments of 5.5 pounds (2.5kg)
- Contoured, textured & soft-grip handle for secure grip
- Water-resistant & durable
- High strength plastic pedestal
- Black polished paint dumbbell piece
- Brand: ATIVAFIT
- Model: ATIVAFIT Adjustable Dumbbell (Single)
- Size: 13.39 x 7.87x 5.91 inches
- Ideal for beginners & intermediate level strength trainers
- Economical value, even with buying each dumbbell separately to make a pair
- Great for improving total body fitness for home exercise
- 7 different weight sets in one dumbbell (once a dumbbell set is made)
- Quick weight change with push-pull design
- Weights are labeled in kg only, not in pounds
- Sold individually and not as a pair
Adjustable DumbbellsBuying Guide
Working out at home can be economical and easier for you to fit into your daily schedule, cutting out travel time, to and from a fitness center.
For those of you who are not big fans of working out at a gym, there is no better place to work out than in the privacy of your home.
Of course, you need to have the right compact equipment that allows you to achieve your fitness goals, whilst being economical.
Owning a set of adjustable dumbbells allows you to work towards your fitness goals, with multiple weights at your disposal, from light to more heavyweights, on par with a gym.
It can be daunting to know which adjustable dumbbells to go for as opposed to free weights set. We’ve broken down the key features you may want to consider before making your final purchase.
Total Weight Sets – With the purchase of an adjustable dumbbell, you are replacing multiple sets of weights. Saving you money and space.
Lighter adjustable dumbbells can replace around 12-16 standard weight sets, which is a respectable number of weights.
Adjustable dumbbells that are on the heavier end of the spectrum can replace around 18 sets, giving you a whole gym’s worth of weights in two dumbbells.
Weight Increments – You get multiple weights through the possibility of increasing weight increments. Weight can be incrementally increased via a dial or plate system.
Depending on the brand weight increments come in 5-pound increments or 2.5 or 1 pound increments. If you are a beginner, it might be too ambitious to opt for 5-pound weight increments.
Depending on the brand, the weight increments, you can increase your resistance from 25 pounds to a ceiling of 100 pounds. The more trailblazing adjustable dumbbells can permit weight of up to 200 pounds.
Whether you are a novice weight and resistance trainer or a pro, the adjustable dumbbell weight increments allow you to tailor the weight to suit your fitness goals and constantly test you.
Maximum Weight – Think about the level you are at now vs what your fitness goals are and how strong you would like to become. This can then guide you on what the maximum weight of the adjustable dumbbells should be.
It doesn’t matter what weight you ultimately select, as long as the weights are not too light for you, constantly challenge you and you can slowly increase the weight to push yourself outside your comfort zone and get stronger.
For some, a max of 50 or 100 pounds should suffice.
Ease of Adjustment – You want to have adjustable dumbbells, where it’s relatively straightforward to increase or decrease the weight, and making adjustments is not too time-intensive.
If you’re on a modest budget, opt for an adjustable dumbbell set with a spinlock, that has screws. Spinlocks are the cheapest adjustable dumbbells.
Comfortable to Use – To enable you to keep training you need dumbbells that are comfortable to train with.
You don’t want adjustable dumbbells that slip when you have sweaty hands or are constructed from a rough material that is creating calluses on your hands.
Consider whether you will be purchasing weight training gloves to train with the adjustable dumbbells.
If you don’t intend to splash out on weight training gloves then look for adjustable dumbbells that have thermoplastic rubber handles to provide a sturdy grip.
Some adjustable dumbbells also have padding on the handles, which provide welcomed protection to the hands and the added benefit of protecting your wrists.
Material – Adjustable dumbbells are made of plastic, steel, or cast iron. Plastic can break easier and is less durable.
Adjustable dumbbells constructed from steel or cast iron are more sturdy and durable. It’s worth paying a little more and getting durable and high-quality adjustable dumbbells.
Three Varieties of Adjustable Dumbbells
- Spin Lock – Spinlock dumbbells are what comes to most people’s minds when you talk about adjustable dumbbells. Spinlock adjustable dumbbells use weight plates that are held in place together with a lock, enabling you to add incremental weights to the dumbbells. Finally, you tightly lock the selected weights in place. If this sounds like a lot of work, that’s because it is, which explains why the spinlock model adjustable dumbbells are more economical.
- Dial A Weight – Dial a weight adjustable dumbbells that enable you to select the desired weight you want to lift from the dumbbell. The weight you don’t want to lift is left in the holster.Turning the dial to the desired weight is quick and convenient and easy to use. It’s no surprise these adjustable dumbbells are on the more expensive end of the spectrum.
- Selector Pins – Selector pins involve removing and adding a magnetic pin.
Weight is selected from a dumbbell weight stack and then you remove the handle from the weight stack leaving the unused weights behind in the dumbbell holder.
These are a good option if you want something more durable than a spinlock but don’t want to splurge on a dial a weight adjustable dumbbell model.
Storage Space – The benefit of adjustable dumbbells is that you are getting multiple sets of weight, in one compact dumbbell set which does not take a lot of storage space in your home.
Storage is made easier as many adjustable dumbbells come equipped with storage trays or stands where you can put the dumbbells when not used.
What you opt for comes down to your personal preference.
Price – Adjustable dumbbells are a great investment to have several weight sets in one dumbbell set. They are also a great option for personal trainers who travel to clients, due to the ease of portability.
The average price for a set of adjustable dumbbells is $350, with some being north of this price. How much do you intend to use your adjustable dumbbells?
If you plan to use them at least twice a week or more, the price pays for itself over the year.
Be clear on what your budget is before you start your shopping.
Warranties and Guarantees – Whether an adjustable dumbbell set comes with a warranty or a guarantee varies from brand to brand.
Some brands may offer trial periods ranging from 14 to 30 days, allowing you to test the dumbbells.
Check the fine print of whether you are entitled to exchange the adjustable dumbbells set if they don’t hold up to scrutiny.
On average an adjustable dumbbell set may come with a 1 or 2-year warranty.
- What are adjustable dumbbells?
- Adjustable dumbbells are a single pair of dumbbells that allow you to adjust the weight of the dumbbells to make them lighter or heavier.
Adjustable dumbbells save you space and money and enable you to have several if not a full set of gym weights in one compact dumbbell set.
- What are the benefits of adjustable dumbbells vs fixed dumbbells?
- To ensure a well-rounded workout regime, incorporating effective strength workouts into your fitness with dumbbells is extremely effective.
If you are working out at home, it's not practical to buy and store numerous different dumbbells that you would have access to at a gym.
Adjustable dumbbells allow you access to multiple dumbbell weights in one set of dumbbells and they are portable and compact to store and less expensive than buying a full set of dumbbells.
You can exercise anywhere with adjustable dumbbells. If you are a fitness trainer and you travel to your clients, adjustable dumbbells are easy to travel with.
You can start your strength workouts with a set of light weights and gradually increase the weights as you get fitter and stronger.
- Can men and women use adjustable dumbbells?
- Yes is the short answer! There are many health benefits for both men and women of all ages, who incorporate strength training into their fitness regime.
Weight lifting can promote muscle mass, bone density, and be incorporated into your cardio routine.
Strength training tones your body and helps to build endurance.
Many women get concerned and associate strength training with bulking up. Lifting lower weights and doing higher repetitions shreds you and keeps you lean and toned.
For the more experienced fitness enthusiast, higher weights are available.
- Does the weight on each dumbbell have to be equal?
- Most people should focus on mastering the unilateral version of the exercise safely with the correct technique first.
Adjustable dumbbells do offer the possibility of offset weight selection, where the weights on both sides are uneven.
Offset training has benefits as it makes training harder, requiring more control and coordination, and confuses your muscles.
Should you choose to do offset weight training, ensure the difference in weight is not too large.
A weight difference of 4kg/8.8 pounds is good, but anything more than this is too much.
- Dumbbells and ankle-wrist weight training leads to changes in body composition and anthropometric parameters with potential cardiovascular disease risk reduction – ScienceDirect
- Weight Training – Wikipedia
- Strength Training Improves Body Image and Physical Activity Behaviors Among Midlife and Older Rural Women – NCBI