It’s so frustrating when you’re tired to the bone and trying to get a good night’s rest, but due to feeling overheated, sleeping becomes uncomfortable.
You might be a hot sleeper, or it might be a scorching summer and you don’t have air conditioning, or you’re going through hormonal changes, which means you’re getting night sweats.
Any of these reasons may be the culprit of why sleep continues to be elusive. It’s important to have a sleep environment where your body temperature is at a moderately cool temperature.
Temperature regulating bedding is important, and so is having a cooling pillow to get a good night’s sleep.
Unlike regular pillows, a cooling pillow has materials like a cooling gel layer that prevent heat from trapping.
While at the same time they are not cool to the touch, which makes them comfortable to rest your head and get some much-needed shut-eye.
We’ve rounded up the cooling pillow best suited to offering you temperature moderation and keeps night sweats at bay.
The Coop Home Goods Eden Adjustable Cooling Pillow makes it into our top list for best cooling pillows.
Shaped like a traditional pillow, the fill is made up of shredded memory foam, infused with gel and microfibers, ensuring you don’t have any lumpy filling or chunks of foam clumping together as they are all cut exactly the same size.
Boasting materials like Lulltra fabric and a bamboo cover provide breathability and softness to the pillow to keep you cool.
What elevates the Eden Adjustable Cooling Pillow above other pillows out there,
the fill of the pillow is adjustable.
You can open up and access the fill to add or remove the fill to suit your preference. When you purchase the Eden Adjustable Cooling Pillow, it comes complete with half a bag of fill providing you with more loft should you need it.
So you get the right loft desired at a comfortable temperature, allowing you to keep sleeping peacefully.
- Memory foam infused with gel & microfiber fill
- Adjustable fill
- Bamboo cover
- Machine washable & dryer friendly
- CertiPUR-US Certified
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant
- Brand: Coop Home Goods
- Model : Eden Adjustable Cooling Pillow
- Size: 18 x 8.8 x 7.2 inches
- Weight: 3.46 pounds
- 5-year warranty
- 100-night trial
- Great for super warm sleepers
- Ideal for stomach sleepers
- 3 sizes available
- Support of memory foam & comfort down in 1 pillow
- Pillow is machine washable
- Initial off-gassing can take some time to go away
- Pillow takes a long time to dry
The Dream Rite Wondersleep Series Memory Foam Cooling Pillow makes it into our list of cooling pillows best to keep your body temperature modulated.
Made from shredded memory foam and polyester fiber, you can be assured that you won’t get that lumpy feeling that some experience with solid-piece memory foam.
Not to blow its own trumpet but the Dream Rite offers the flexibility to adjust the loft. So if it’s not firm and high enough for you, add more loft. If you need to take some loft out, adjust to your comfort level.
The memory foam provides the right support for neck pain, shoulders, back, and head.
With breathable fabric stemming from Bamboo, you’ll feel comfortable putting your head on the Dream Rite, knowing you’ll be sleeping on the cool side.
When you’re lying down, the memory foam molds to your body allowing you to stay refreshed as you sleep.
Like with most memory foam pillows the Dream Rite does have an initial chemical odor, which takes a few days to dissipate so hang in there.
Once you’re over the off-gassing it’s smooth sailing with this cooling pillow best for quality sleep!
- Fill - 80% shredded memory foam & 20% polyester fiber
- Cover - 40% viscose-rayon & 60% polyester
- Adjustable foam fill
- Dust mite resistant
- Pillow & cover machine washable
- Firmness: firm
- Brand: Wondersleep
- Model : Dream Rite Wondersleep Series Memory Foam Cooling Pillow
- Size: 18 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- 1-year warranty
- Machine washable
- Great for very warm sleepers who like fluffy but firm pillows
- Adjustable loft
- Long pillow, works great on big beds
- Good for side sleepers
- Some off-gassing in the initial days
- Some may experience uneven filling
The Bear Pillow is a cooling pillow best for all sleepers no matter what your sleep position is.
The Bear Pillow has Loft-X foam which provides a solid piece of support no matter how you sleep.
Layered with special Ice Fabric, the pillow has a blissful cooling effect, keeping your sleep uninterrupted. At both ends the pillow features mesh panels, providing airflow.
The loft is not adjustable and comes with a standard 5-inch loft. The bear pillow offers contouring support of memory foam and the resilience and bounce of latex.
Allergy sufferers will be relieved to know its hypoallergenic, complete with anti-microbial properties. Whilst you can clean the cover, it’s spot clean only.
- Double Ice Fabric
- Pillow features Loft-X Foam
- Dual mesh corner accents
- Hypoallergenic & anti-microbial
- 5-inch loft
- Cover spot clean only
- Brand: Bear
- Model : Bear Pillow
- Size: Queen - 15.75 x 25 x 5.5 inches
King - 15.75 x 35.4 x 5 inches
- Weight: Queen - 5 pounds
King - 7 pounds
- 2-year limited warranty
- 100-night trial
- Free US ground shipping
- Good for back and side sleepers & combo sleepers
- Great for warm sleepers
- Ideal for sleepers seeking good responsiveness & fluffy feel
- For allergy sufferers
- Maybe too much loft for petite sleepers
The Weekender Ventilated Gel Memory Memory Cooling Pillow is an ideal pillow best cooling for maximum sleep comfort.
It comes in 3 different sizes, standard, Queen, and King, and offers a soft firmness like your sleeping on cloud nine.
The memory foam is infused with temperature modulating gel on both sides, offering pleasant sleep conditions. Whilst the Weekender is cool to one’s touch, it’s not unpleasant or cold.
Its ventilated design allows maximum circulation and the right support to your neck and back with a 5-inch loft.
Taking care of your cooling pillow has never been easier, with the removable and machine washable cover.
The Weekender is hypoallergenic, so it’s got you allergy sufferers covered.
- Temperature regulating best gel-infused memory foam
- Polyester cover
- 5-inch loft
- Firmness: ultra-soft
- Ventilated for breathable comfort
- 2-sided cover
- CertiPUR-US certified memory foam
- Brand: Weekender
- Model: Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Cooling Pillow
- Size: Standard - 16 x 25 x 5 inches
Queen - 16 x 29 x 5 inches
King - 16 x 35 x 5 inches
- Weight: Standard & Queen - 2 pounds
King - 3 pounds
- 3-year warranty
- Good for side & stomach sleepers
- Ideal for hot sleepers
- Machine washable cover
- Not ideal support for back sleepers
- An initial odor that disappears
The PharMeDoc Memory Foam Pillow takes your sleeping experience to the next level. This reversible pillow has two sides that can be used.
On the cool side, it has a cooling gel for warm nights or for balmy sleepers. The other side has plush memory foam for cooler nights or cold sleepers.
Thermoregulating cooling technology captures heat and diffuses it, allowing you to remain cool all night long. The memory foam is infused with cooling gel, enabling your body temperature to remain moderate.
Ventilation is offered via the hole-punched design which promotes airflow to disseminate body heat as you sleep.
The cover is removable and can be machine washed. The medium firmness provides the right balance of head and neck support, maintaining your spinal alignment, and relieving painful pressure points.
What’s more, the PharMeDoc Memory Foam Pillow is hypoallergenic, allowing allergy sufferers to have an allergy-free cool night’s sleep.
- Memory foam
- Thermoregulating cooling gel
- Cover - 60% polyester & 40% cotton
- Firmness - medium
- Reversible pillow with 2 sides
- Machine washable pillowcase
- Pressure point relief
- Brand: PharMeDoc
- Model: Memory Foam Pillow
- Size: 24 x 14 x 5 inches
- Weight: 3.74 pounds
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Suitable for all year round use
- Great for hot sleepers & cold sleepers
- For sleepers who like phase change memory foam
- Good for allergy sufferers
- Only 1 sizes standard available
Providing relief to pressure points between shoulders, neck, and back is just one of the benefits of the great cooling pillow from Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow.
This uniquely designed cooling pillow offers you two different sides of the pillow to use. The memory foam side has a medium to plush feel and the cool gel side offers a medium to firm feel.
The memory foam gel is cool and disperses body heat, creating an overall cooler sleeper experience. The textured gel layer surface enables airflow, so your head and neck feel pleasantly cool.
If that wasn’t impressive enough, the cool mesh knit cover wicks moisture away keeping you cool as a cucumber and those night sweats at bay.
The Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow is naturally anti-microbial and resistant to allergens and dust mites.
Allowing you to sleep peacefully without triggering those pesky allergies.
- Reversible cooling gel & memory foam
- The dual-sided memory foam design
- Textured gel layer surface
- Cool pass fiber cover is removable & machine washable
- Medium-plush feel (memory foam side)
- Medium-firm feel (cool gel side)
- Brand: Classic Brands
- Model: Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- Size : 24 x 16 x 5 inches
- Weight: 5 pounds
- 3-year covenant
- Good pressure relief for shoulder, neck & back
- Ideal for very warm sleepers seeking a cooler experience
- Cover machine washable
- Good for side sleepers
- Value for money
- Not for sleepers seeking a contoured cooling pillow experience
- Might be too firm for some sleepers
The ViscoSoft Cooling Arctic Gel Contour Pillow is an impressive pillow that comes in three sizes. The Standard size comes in two variations. You have the option of a non-contoured pillow.
Alternatively, if you’re a fan of a contoured pillow, it’s offered in two sizes, the Standard and Queen size. The wave-flow cooling gel offers a reprieve from heat to keep you cool and optimizes airflow.
ViscoSoft comes with three perfectly crafted layers. The foam core provides welcomed support to your neck and shoulders so that you don’t have to wake up with aches and pains.
The cooling gel dissipates heat keeping you cool at all times. The fabric is made from Coolmax fabric, which has moisture-wicking properties and is removable and washable.
It comes with a 3-year warranty and if you need to try the cooling pillow out for yourself, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Memory foam pillow infused with arctic gel
- Supportive foam core, cooling gel
- Soft CoolMax fabric moisture-wicking removable cover
- Contouring memory foam
- Responsive design
- Firmness: plush
- Brand: ViscoSoft
- Model: Cooling Arctic Gel Contour Pillow
- Size: 17.4 x 10.04 x 6.69 inches
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- 3-year warranty
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- For fans of memory foam
- Ideal for very warm sleepers
- Suitable for allergy sufferers
- Good for side & back sleepers
- Can be too soft for some sleepers
- Initial off-gassing
For all, you super warm sleepers out there, cooling relief is within reach with the Perfect Cloud Dual Option Cooling Gel Pillow.
Featuring a memory foam infused with gel and a blanket of gel-filled pockets on top, the Dual Option Cooling Pillow is designed with the ideal features to provide heat retention.
One side is constructed to provide soothing cooling relief, the other side stays warm and cozy. So you’re covered for all seasons.
The cooling pillow has a premium textile stretch knit cover, which not only looks luxurious but allows air to flow freely in and out.
The durable viscoelastic memory foam construction contours to you, no matter what your sleeping position is, and provides welcomed support from pain.
Ensuring you wake up refreshed and free from aches and pains. The cooling pillow comes with a 5.5-inch loft, making it a tempting choice for hot side sleepers.
The Dual Option Cooling Pillow comes complete with a 30-night trial, allowing you to test sleep this pillow before you commit.
- Gel-infused memory foam & blanket of gel-filled pockets on top
- Textile stretch knit cover
- Removable & washable cover
- 5.5-inch loft
- Firmness: plus
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Brand: Perfect Cloud
- Model: Dual Option Cooling Gel Pillow
- Size: 16 x 24 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Free shipping in the contiguous US
- 3-year guarantee
- The 30-night trial, free returns
- Perfect pillow for winter & summer months
- Ideal for hot sleepers
- Sleepers who prefer a firmer pillow
- Maybe too thin for some sleepers
- Initial chemical off-gassing
The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Dual Breeze is a high-quality pillow, cooling to the touch from Tempur-Pedic.
Made with medium firm memory foam, it molds to your head and provides neck support for absolute comfort.
Whilst many memory foam fill pillows may be scorching, the TEMPUR-Cloud has a cooling gel layer on both sides of the pillow, providing a welcomed cooling effect throughout the night.
The premium quilted cotton cover is soft and breathable and can be removed and washed. The personalized comfort feature allows the memory foam to adapt to your head and neck for welcomed pressure relief.
Those of you suffering from ongoing aches in your shoulders and neck pain can wave that discomfort goodbye.
The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR Cloud Dual Breeze does come with a hefty price tag, but you get a superior quality product backed with a 5-year warranty that’s sure to give anyone sleep comfort.
- TEMPUR-Breeze gel layer on both sides
- 100% cotton quilted cover
- The cover is removable & washable
- Medium firmness foam pillow
- Personalized comfort for pressure relief
- Brand: Tempur-Pedic
- Model: TEMPUR-Cloudz Dual Breeze
- Size: 35 x 19 x 6.4 inches
- Weight: 9.5 pounds
- 5-year limited warranty
- Tempur-Pedic offers 2 sizes available
- Great for back and side sleepers & stomach sleepers
- Ideal for sleepers who run hot & who like memory foam pillows
- Good for sleepers who like their head & neck to sink into the pillow
- The loft of 6.4 inches may be too high for some back & stomach sleepers
Our final pick for the best cooling pillows is the BedStory Memory Foam Cooling Gel Pillow.
This orthopedic cervical pillow has a medium to firm memory foam, which provides good support for your head, neck, and shoulders.
Featuring a cooling gel, an open-cell technology with a ventilated memory core, and a natural Tencel cover, you’ll get temperature regulation and a healthy level of air circulation.
Available in a standard size, this single piece of foam pillow won’t get lumpy and the highly breathable and hypoallergenic cover is removable and can be machine washed.
You won’t be tossing and turning in exasperation and mugginess with the BedSotry Memory Foam Cooling Gel Pillow. All you’ll be doing is keeping your cool.
- Memory foam
- Gel memory foam & Tencel cover
- Open-cell technology
- Orthopedic cervical pillow
- Firmness: medium-firm
- Removable & washable cover
- OEKO-TEX certified fabric
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Brand: BedStory
- Model: Memory Foam Cooling Gel Pillow
- Size: 23.62 x 15.75 x 5.12 inches
- Weight: 3.12 pounds
- Free shipping in the contiguous US
- Satisfaction guarantee
- 30-night trial
- Ideal for very warm sleepers
- Good for back sleepers
- Reasonably priced
- Not for sleepers who prefer a contoured pillow
- Initial-off gassing
Cooling PillowsBuying Guide
It’s so important that we have a good pillow providing us with the right balance of support and maintaining a modulated temperature level.
A pillow that stays cool is an attractive solution for many hot sleepers, as it draws heat away from the body and provides a cool surface to put your head on. Side and back sleepers will also find cooling pillows a great option.
So you find yourself looking for a cooling pillow, but you don’t know where to start or what to look for.
In this guide, we’ve outlined the key characteristics you might consider when selecting a cooling pillow.
Cooling Properties – How well is the pillow able to regulate temperature, retain minimal body heat, and allow you to stay cool during the night.
Many cooling pillows are made from materials such as gel, copper, and phase-change materials that enable good airflow.
Wool, cotton, and bamboo are moisture-wicking, a great choice for hot sleepers who may sweat during the night. Focus on the material of the cooling pillow.
Fill Materials – The most effective cooling pillows that offer temperature neutrality can be made of various different materials. Below are the most frequently used fill materials.
- Latex – Latex is made from the sap of rubber trees. Latex can retain some heat, but many cooling pillows are aerated to permit greater air circulation.
- Memory Foam – Memory foam is a viscoelastic polyfoam that becomes soft and when it comes into contact with body heat it conforms close to the body.
This gives sleepers pressure relief for the neck, head, and shoulders.
Memory foam pillows can have heat retention properties, so look for pillows that infuse memory foam with gel or look for shredded foam that allows significant ventilation.
- Buckwheat – Shells of the buckwheat grain are buckwheat hulls.
Air can flow freely between the shells, preventing heat retention, making them a good option for hot sleepers. Buckwheat hulls are supportive, but some sleepers may find them too firm.
- Wool – Wool is a natural material that comes from lambs and sheep. Wool is great for both cool and warm climates.
In warm climates it draws heat and moisture away from your body and in cooler temperatures, it retains heat and provides insulation.
Wool is a good pick if you want a pillow for all seasons and temperature moderation throughout the year.
- Polyester – Made of polyester fibers, pillows made from this material have reasonable cooling properties, but some hot sleepers may find they are not cool enough for them.
Polyester cooling pillows are an attractive option for budget shoppers.
- Down – Down pillows are made from the soft wing, chest, and back feathers of geese or ducks. If more fill consists of clusters the pillow is warmer.
Down pillows are soft, feather-light, and fluffy, but they may be too warm for hot sleepers and they are pricey.
- Down Alternative – Down alternative is synthetic materials that impersonate features of softness and warmth of classic down. They are cooler and cheaper than traditional down and don’t have any allergy-related issues.
- Feathers – Other feathers from ducks and geese can be used that are not down. These feathers promote air circulation and don’t retain heat like conventional down so are much cooler.
Cover Materials – You want to look for cover materials that don’t capture too much heat.
- Cotton – Cotton fibers are smooth and promote good airflow. Look for Egyptian cotton or Pima Cotton or Organic cotton which are all extra-long-staple cotton and allow a high level of air circulation.
- Phase-Change Material (PCMs) – PCMs absorb heat from a sleeper until a sleeper’s body has reached a defined temperature range, resulting in the material changing phase or state, and then remains at a constant temperature throughout the night.
- Bamboo – Bamboo is a lightweight and moisture-wicking fiber. This is a great pick for hot sleepers who sweat during the night, as it has great absorptive effects.
- Copper – Copper is antimicrobial. Many pillows blend copper with other materials such as latex or memory foam to get modulated.
Sleeping Position and Loft – Give some thought to what position you typically sleep in. This impacts how much support you need and the firmness level of the pillow.
The loft is the height of the pillow. Generally, cooling pillows have a medium to high loft. Some pillows may allow you to adjust the loft.
If you’re a back sleeper you may want a cooling pillow that keeps your head level and your neck supported so that your head doesn’t tilt too forward or back.
If you’re a side sleeper you want to look for a cooling pillow that provides support to your neck and shoulders.
Pressure Relief – You want a pillow that provides support, spinal alignment, and offers pressure relief for your neck and shoulders. Latex and memory foam are ideal picks to provide pressure and pain relief.
Firmness Levels – This depends on your personal preferences. As a general rule of thumb, cooling pillows are available in soft to medium or medium to firm feel.
Size – What size pillow are you looking for? Standard is the smallest and most compressed size.
Next up is the Queen size pillow, which is 3 or 4 inches longer than the standard pillow. The largest pillow is the King size which is 6 inches longer than the Queen pillow, ideal if you read in bed or sit up and watch TV.
Shape – Do you want the classic rectangular cooling pillow? Or do you want a more contoured pillow that offers greater support and customization to your neck, head, and shoulders?
There are plenty of cooling pillows with hollows and grooves.
Hypoallergenic – If you suffer from pesky allergies, you want to remain alert to materials that don’t aggravate your allergies. Foam, latex, and wool are good options for allergy sufferers.
Maintenance – You’ll probably be using the cooling pillow every night, so it’s important to know how you can clean it. Is it possible to machine wash or is hand wash only?
Price – Compared to a normal pillow cooling pillows are more expensive due to the materials used to manufacture them. If your budget allows, you’ll get your money’s worth.
Warranty – Ideally you’re buying a cooling pillow made from quality materials and is durable, however for peace of mind you want to check if it comes with a warranty.
On average cooling pillows should have a warranty ranging from 1 to 3 years.
- Do cooling pillows work?
- As a general rule of thumb cooling pillows work, which is why there are so many options available. However, what might work for one person might not be the right pillow for you.
There is a large variety of cooling pillows out there. Knowing which one is the right fit for you depends on your personal sleeping position, how firm or soft you like a pillow to be, how much pressure relief you are seeking, and if you are a particularly hot sleeper what kind of temperature moderation you are looking for.
- Who is a cooling pillow good for?
- Cooling pillows are the answer to many hot sleepers’ woes. Hot sleepers seek a cool bedding environment, where they are not hot or sweaty and can fall and stay asleep comfortably.
Cooling pillows are perfect for hot sleepers as they draw heat away from the body, promote air circulation and moderate the temperature at a pleasant level.
Back and side sleepers may also find them beneficial. Many cooling pillows have a higher loft which is advantageous for side sleepers, who want the neck aligned and head elevated.
For back sleepers, they want to make sure the head and neck are supported and aren’t tilting too forward or too backward.
- Do cooling pillows need to be paired with particular types of pillow covers?
- The bulk of cooling pillows come with a cover so you won’t need to buy separate pillowcases. Most pillow covers are removable and can be washed.
- How often do you replace your cooling pillow?
- Whilst there is no hard and fast rule, the typical lifespan of a cooling pillow is around 2 to 3 years.
To keep your cooling pillow in good condition, always follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to clean your pillow and the frequency of cleaning.
- Effects of Head Cooling on Human Sleep Stages and Body Temperature – PubMed
- Effects of Thermal Environment on Sleep and Circadian Rhythm – PubMed
- The Temperature Dependence of Sleep – Frontiers in Neuroscience
- The Cool Side of the Pillow: The Best Temperature for Sleep – Senior Lifestyle
- Can’t Sleep? Adjust the Temperature – WebMed