9 Best Weighted Blankets (Buying Guide) in 2021
We live in an age where optimizing our sleeping routine, ensuring we have the right bed, the right bedding material, and even sleeping in an environment where temperature control is key.
It’s not really a surprise then that acquiring a best-weighted blanket has become an equally sought-after sleep accessory to help fall asleep faster.
Traditionally the concept of weighted blankets is connected to providing deep touch pressure to calm the nervous system of anxiety sufferers and other mental health challenges.
Many people have become aware of the health benefits a weighted blanket offers and the concept of a weighted blanket has become the conventional norm with falling asleep.
Whether it’s the holiday gifting season or any other time of the year, what better gift to give to you or a loved one than a best-weighted blanket, an investment in their or your well-being.
Whilst an average weighted blanket can be on the pricier side, is it possible to put a price tag on a good night’s sleep?
We’ve compiled a list of the very best weighted blankets out there for you, ensuring comfort and sleep quality is just a hop, skip away.
Weighted BlanketsBuying Guide
- What is in a weighted blanket?
- Traditional blankets are made with cotton or down. Weighted blankets on the other hand differ from traditional blankets, as they contain materials like beads, pellets made of polyfill, or glass.
Which makes them blankets with weights. The weight of the blanket is evenly dispersed across the body, promoting the feeling of being hugged and comforted.
- What are the benefits of weighted blankets?
- Pressure points in the body are stimulated due to the evenly distributed weight, which in turn helps to calm the nervous system, resulting in reducing stress and anxiety.
Sleepers are likely to experience better sleep due to feeling safe like they are being given a hug and the release of happy hormones.
Weighted blankets have been known to help sufferers of insomnia, attention-deficit hyperactivity syndrome (ADHD), or restless leg syndrome, to name a few health challenges.
- How heavy should a weighted blanket be?
- Selecting the correct weight for a weighted blanket is the key consideration.
Different blanket models vary from 10 to 25 pounds. You should use your body weight to calculate the ideal blanket weight.
Typically around 10% of your body weight is comfortable, however, the only way you’ll know for sure is by trying different models to find the right snug fit for you.
The heaviest weighted blanket you can get is 25 pounds.
- What is deep pressure therapy?
- Deep pressure is very often used by therapists to help reduce anxiety, to invoke a sense of safety, and to calm and release feelings of pleasure.
- Is a weighted blanket for adults only or can you use a weighted blanket for kids?
- The simple answer is yes, weighted blankets can be used for kids, with some caveats. A child should be able to pull the blanket on and off easily without any help.
If the blanket is too heavy for a child to manage, it’s simply too heavy for them. 10% of their own body weight is an ideal weight.
Additionally, a blanket for a child may need to be of a smaller size overall. As a general rule of thumb, children 8 years or under should not use a weighted blanket, as they are too young.
- Are weighted blankets hot?
- How warm or cool a weighted blanket is, is determined by the fabric covering the blanket.
Weighted blankets made from fabrics such as flannel and fleece may create too much heat, due to the fabrics not breathing well and retaining heat.
If sleeping cool is a priority pick a weighted blanket cover in a lightweight cotton blend.
- Can you wash a weighted blanket?
- The maintenance of a weighted blanket depends on its fabric and weight.
Some materials can be washed in the washing machine or can be cleaned at home with relative ease.
If the weighted blanket is on the heavier side, you may not be able to wash it in the machine.
For larger or heavier blankets, hand washing, spot cleaning, or dry cleaning may be a more suitable option.
- How to wash a weighted blanket?
- When washing a weighted blanket in a washing machine, ensure you wash it alone in cool water.
If you air-dry the weighted blanket by line drying it, make sure the weight is proportionately distributed so that it doesn’t lose its shape.
Make sure to only use gentle laundry detergent, which doesn’t contain bleach or fabric softener.
It depends on the fabric of the weighted blanket, but some fabric softeners can build up residue, causing it to feel stiff and scratchy.
Remember weighted blankets are uniquely designed and have unique maintenance requirements.